Salary Range $40-45K
A Wider Circle is seeking a self-motivated, detailed-oriented Development Associate to support the execution and attainment of funds needed to help our neighbors in need across the region. This position is a key systems and process role – ensuring data collection, standard communications, proper record keeping of all financial contributions, and reporting are maintained with our core donor base. This position will support the Development team to engage and retain current donors while expanding and connecting with new donors.
This position will report to the Chief Development Officer and is based in Silver Spring, MD. The position has a potential for a hybrid work arrangement of 40% off-site/60% on-site once the 90 probation period has been completed.
Essential functions-primary responsibilities:
Ensures accurate and timely processing of all financial gifts to A Wider Circle by:
- Working with the finance team to open, sort, and scan check donation documentation within 24 hours of receipt at A Wider Circle according to organizational protocol
- Entering gift and constituent information into the donor database system within 72 hours of the deposit of gifts, including online donations, checks, stocks, and electronic fund transfers
- Ensuring gifts are accurately coded according to organizational protocols
- Exporting and sending weekly report of gifts processed to the Development team
- In coordination with Development and Finance teams, ensures pledge payments are received according to gift installment plans by pulling regular reports on pledge balances and issuing invoices
Ensure accurate and timely stewardship of donors to A Wider Circle by:
- Preparing batches of acknowledgment letters, including pulling reports of new gifts, cleaning mailing lists, and completing mail merges
- Packaging acknowledgment letters for mailing, including printing, packaging, and mailing letters, as well as coordinating with mail house for large batch mailings
- Creating in-house acknowledgment letters for major and VIP donors in coordination with Chief Development Officer
- Generating and managing personalized donor thank yous for Development team use
- Updating tracking systems related to donor-giving data
- Tracking inventory of acknowledgment letter supplies
- Managing major donor meeting schedules for Chief Development Officer
- Ensures the cleanliness of the donor database by regularly updating constituent contact information and deduplicating records
- Updates solicit codes based on changes made in email marketing software
- Creates standard operating procedures for gift processing, donor data entry, solicit codes, and tracking special donor outreach
Department Coordination and Support
- Leads coordination of donor mailings, ensuring timely and accurate delivery
- Provides other administrative support to the Development team
- Conduct donor research on prospective supporters
- Track outreach and outcomes related to prospecting
- Support outreach efforts to prospective donors
- Qualify prospects capable of making gifts at the $500 and above level, overseeing and driving all aspects of the giving cycle.
- Collaborate on cultivation and solicitation strategies and move prospects strategically towards solicitation and stewardship, including annual renewals and upgrades.
- Support the engagement of prospective donors staying current on programmatic needs and priorities.
- Develop and manage individual donor-specific written materials, including solicitations, renewals, stewardship communications, and giving program updates.
- Provide support for Annual Fund and Major Giving programs, including as the first line of inquiry for individual prospect screening, identification, and research.
- Report on Mid-level and Major Gift metrics, goals, and progress.
- Participate in events and programs in support of Development activities, engage key donors and volunteers, and effectively utilize engagement strategies.
- Work with the Chief Development Officer on portfolio and prospect management projects, including coordinating annual portfolio reviews, developing prospect management metric reports, and assisting with prospect and portfolio management policies and procedure development.
- Conduct donor tours as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records within the donor database.
Knowledge & Skills:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- At least one year of work experience, preferably in administrative support, fundraising, or database management
- Experience in CRM such as Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, etc.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and Google Workspace
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong process and systems orientation
- Ability self- motivate
- Ability to collaborate
- Experience in customer service or donor relations
- Experience working with Network for Good
- Working knowledge of Little Green Light
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment
- Experience with social services or direct service community organizations in the greater Washington, DC, region is a plus
Additional eligibility requirements:
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
A Wider Circle is committed to having a team that is diverse and ensuring that all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender (including gender identity or expression), religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or other non-merit factors. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.