Working to Create Change
A Wider Circle is driven by our vision of a future without poverty. Since our inception, we have worked to innovate, partner, and serve so that one day, all of our neighbors have the resources they need to thrive.
Every day, neighbors we serve share stories of policies and systems that have caused — and continue to perpetuate — their hardship. While the services we provide are critical, we know that direct service alone will not create the long-term change needed to end poverty.
To help create this change, A Wider Circle is proud to announce the launch of our new Advocacy program.
Following a season of listening to and strategizing with members of our community, including people we serve, Affordable Housing and Living Wage were prioritized as our initial areas of focus.
Advocacy at A Wider Circle: Core Values
- Address the cause: Recognize root causes such as systemic racism, classism, and sexism, and seek policy and system-level change.
- Uplift voices: Develop platforms for all voices to be heard and for all to take leadership.
- Unite neighbors: Change is possible when neighbors experiencing poverty and all community members work together.
- Engage broadly: Engage in and uplift both grassroots advocacy to energize our community and governmental issue advocacy to and with elected officials.
- Join forces: Engage in joint efforts of other great organizations and value partnerships in the process.
In 2022, we researched advocacy coalitions locally and around the country with whom we could join forces.
After A Wider Circle clients and staff met with multiple groups, we elected to join The Maryland Poor People’s Campaign, which works to impact policies at every level of government, and The Way Home Campaign, which advocates for policies to end chronic homelessness in Washington, DC.
Social Justice Committee
A critical component of our Advocacy program will be our Social Justice Committee: a group of community members who will help guide and carry out our advocacy and movement development work.
All are welcome to join!
Interested in participating or learning more? Please email email@example.com.
In 2023, A Wider Circle will:
- Convene our Social Justice Committee, engaging our whole community in the effort to end poverty
- Host Listening Session events to engage in advocacy with elected officials and participate in numerous advocacy events with our coalition partners
- Begin an education campaign to shift the narrative on poverty
- Launch a Youth Social Justice Leadership Program
- And much more!
Save the dates!
Thursday, February 16 at 6:30pm: Advocacy & Social Justice Committee Virtual Information Session
Thursday, February 23 at 6:30pm: First Social Justice Committee Meeting
Wednesday, March 15 at 6:30pm: Affordable Housing 101 & Listening Session
Thursday, April 20 at 6:30pm: Living Wage 101 & Listening Session
Join Our Circle
Sign up for email updates about our work, news, and events.