Top Ten Heartwarming Moments of 2014
As 2014 comes to a close, A Wider Circle reflects on our favorite moments of the year; those moments that warmed our hearts, rewarded our hard work, and inspired us to keep doing what we do.
10. Mark Bergel, founder of A Wider Circle, is named a CNN Hero. The mission to end poverty gains national recognition.
9. Our Center for Professional Development (CPD) provides professional clothing in low-income neighborhoods. Now individuals taking our job preparedness training can dress the part too.
8. Over 500 participants of all ages lace up to run our annual Race to End Poverty.
7. Donald and Ann Browns’ generous $200,000 donation initiates the launch of the Browns’ Beds campaign. As a result, 2,300 children and adults now have a place to dream.
Students report for Job P.R.E.P. Boot Camp, an intensive week-long workshop, which focuses on resume-writing, interview skills, career path identification, and job advancement.
5. Congressman Chris Van Hollen visits our Center to engage in an extensive discussion about poverty and its remedies.
4. 700 supporters join us at the Community Ball. This year, we unveiled plans to purchase our building- our most aggressive campaign yet!
3. Just in time for the holidays, we furnish our 4,000th home of the year! A joyous milestone!
2. Mark Bergel is named a Washingtonian of the Year, recognizing his work in creating a better life for all in DC. Check out the story on newsstands!
1.Our friend Maseray delivers a beautiful performance during the “Inspiration to Action“ event. On stage, as the Wider Circle Team furnishes an apartment, Maseray shares her own experiences and explains how much each piece of furniture means to someone who has been living with nothing. Truly inspiring!
A heartfelt thanks to the people who have been part of our progress in 2014! Look out for exciting developments in the coming year!